I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.
I’m a real person. I do not eat vegetables all day long and I drink wine and love chocolate. I am not perfect. But perfection is boring, isn’t it?
So it’s no surprise that this also applies to my kids and their lunches for school. I do stay away from packaged and processed foods but their lunches are fairly boring (and maybe that’s perfect?)…so you want to know?
What does this Nutritionist give her kids for lunch? I’ll tell you. It’s been a week of school and they’ve come home happy every day so far. Here’s why:
Sandwiches. Every. Single. Day.
Are you surprised?
First of all, they like them. Second, they’re pretty healthy. Third, EASY PEASY. I can make the same sandwich three days in a row and they don’t complain. So…yes. Anything that makes my life and lunch making easy…I will do it.
There is always some sort of fruit or vegetable in there too. Mostly berries and cucumbers because those don’t typically come home.
I’ll throw in an unsweetened applesauce, some cottage cheese or yogurt, maybe some pretzels and I usually have some homemade mini muffins (yes, with some chocolate chips) in there too.
They drink a lot of milk at home so they get water all day. They can refill it and if it spills in their backpack, it’s no big deal. Warm old milk smell? Ew, no thanks.
So there you have it! Sandwich. Cheese. Berries. Cucumber. Applesauce. Pretzels. Muffins. Water. I’m just like you. Doesn’t have to be fancy. Just has to be healthy and easy.
Want some other options? Warning: These are boring and won’t make any sort of Pinterest board but kids will eat their lunch:
- Whole wheat tortillas with cream cheese and cucumber
- Grilled cheese
- Egg salad (with yogurt not mayo)
- Veggies and hummus
- Whole grain crackers
- Spicy baked chick peas
- Fruit-cut it, don’t cut it…fruit is an awesome snack!
- Make-Your-Own Lunch with whole grain pitas, cheese and chicken
- Packaged cookies (Bear Paws)
- Packaged “lunches” (Lunchables-EW! You can do better!)
- Pop of any kind
- Fruit beverages (Even juice daily is a sugar hit…but the “punch” or “cocktail” is worse)
- Chocolate dipped granola bars
- “Fruit” snacks…how about real fruit?