Winter isn’t coming…it’s here.
Snow has fallen and the ice scraper has been used on the car. It’s official: It’s cold.
Leftovers are great for work too-and your coworkers will be all like: “When did you order in?” and you’ll be all like: “Pffff. I MADE this. No big deal.” They’ll be jealous and you’ll be happy with a warm belly. I guess you could share if you wanted to.
Don’t be afraid of couscous and think it’s all international. This stuff is itty bitty pasta. Mystery solved.
Also…star anise. This spice has a licorice flavour and comes in two forms. You can buy them whole and they look like little stars (hence the name) or you can buy it ground. Up to you. I used ground in this recipe and I found the flavour permeated the dish really nicely. Splendor Garden makes a delicious organic ground version that will knock your socks off (in a good way), so I use it sparingly.
- 1 tbsp. oil (I used camelina, use whatcha got)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 cup roasted squash or sweet potato, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground star anise (depending on your taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Handful parsley, roughly chopped (optional but pretty)