Happy New Year!

With the New Year comes promises and resolutions. We all have good intentions but for the most part, these promises to ourselves and extreme or sweeping resolutions fall through by Valentine’s Day.

This is the exact reason I no longer make resolutions.

It’s certainly a good time of the year to assess your life and make some changes. I get that. And I’m all for everyone (yes, including myself) trying to better themselves. It’s just that RESOLUTIONS don’t seem to stick because they always seem to be MAJOR changes without a plan to back them up. You know what the top three resolutions are EVERY YEAR?

“This year I will lose weight and get fit”

“I’m going to quit smoking”

“I’m going to be less stressed”

No doubt, these are reasons to make a change. It’s all about health and without health, you really have nothing. Think about it. Our family has been through a lot in the last year and the focus on health is real. Don’t take it for granted. Be as healthy as you can…within reason. You have to live your life too-and be happy. If you’re killing yourself at the gym, trying to be healthy but you’re UNHAPPY…then something has to change.

It’s about balance. Move your body-do something that’s fun. I don’t LOVE running-but I love that when I stick to a program, I can see my progress as I get faster and can run for longer amounts of time. I need to be consistent, and that’s something I have to work on. But I’m not going to promise myself that I’m going to run five days a week. Life happens. But I’ll do my best and I’ll feel better for it.

If you want to make changes to your diet, start small. My professional advice? Don’t take things OUT of your diet (not right away, anyway)…but start adding some more things IN. What do I mean?

Add in something orange and something green every day. Examples of something orange: Oranges, sweet potato, carrots, squash, peppers, peaches, apricots, mango, pumpkin. Examples of something green? There’s plenty: apples, celery, spinach, kale, grapes, lime, peas, broccoli, cucumber, olives, avocadoes…the list goes on. And no, cheetos and green sprinkles do not count.

It’s a simple change but you’ll start to feel better. And feeling better will motivate you to make more changes! And then you’ll feel even better and make more changes and before you know it-there won’t be room for any of the bad stuff you used to eat. It’s the vicious cycle of awesome.

I live by the 80/20 principle. It’s a great way to live and here’s why: I eat as best I can 80% of the time. That leaves the other 20% to indulge and NOT FEEL GUILTY about it. I can go out to dinner with friends, have wine and cheese date nights with my husband and easily get right back to eating healthy the next day.

I’ll admit, the holiday ratio may not be 80/20. I know that’s why it’s so easy to fall into the resolution trap. But instead of making false promises to myself, I’ll just get back on the 80/20 train. Some weeks are better than others, but you can’t beat yourself up about it. You are the only one accountable. Feel better. You can do it.

Happy New Year to everyone who reads my blog, follows me on facebook, twitter or instagram! This year will be full of change for me-I can feel it. Thank you for all your support over this past year. It’s been a whirlwind-I’m so excited to see what 2016 will bring. Awesomeness, obviously. I’m hoping the same for you!

Cheers!